Hello and welcome to my blog; I’m so glad that you are here! I originally created @caligirlgetsfit on Instagram and caligirlgetsfit.com to share my fitness journey and document my own progress. Since beginning my fitness journey almost 7 years ago, this blog has evolved into a place where I share everything that encompasses a healthy lifestyle, including food/recipes, wellness, mental health, and fitness. And now that I became a mom this year, I’m also sharing the joys of motherhood with tips and tricks to keep you sane!
It’s funny because a lot of people write to me and say “Hi Cali!” – thinking that it’s my name! My name is actually Shannon, and I am from Oakland, California, hence the nickname “Cali Girl!” Northern California is a beautiful place with tons of hiking, outdoor sports, and fitness-focused people who are into yoga, pilates, lifting, and healthy, sustainable eating.
I was born and raised in Northern California and grew up in Silicon Valley! Many of my friends went to be programmers at big tech firms, like Google and Apple, but I was always interested in marketing and graphics. After college, I tried working in a few different industries, including corporate retail, and engineering, but ultimately ended up at a small, woman/minority-owned architecture firm. I love working for a small company that feels like family, and is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
I am a certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist through the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM). For the past several years I have been working with clients on learning about macronutrients and how to calculate and use flexible dieting to achieve fitness goals of weight loss, weight gain or weight maintenance. I have currently taken a break from accepting new clients due to becoming a new mom this year and wanting to spend my time nurturing Baby K in his first year! But I look forward to reopening my coaching client waitlist soon.
My husband and I got married in 2017, and in 2020, we embarked on the most amazing journey of becoming parents! I can’t even describe how utterly exhausting yet amazing and fulfilling this journey is. This past February, I gave birth to the most perfect and healthy 9 lb 4 oz baby boy, who is our everything. Baby K gave us something that we didn’t even know we were missing, and we can’t imagine life without him! I love sharing the joys of motherhood with all of you as my life has evolved from a party of one to a party of three!
Some fun facts about me:
- I have always wanted to be a boy mom! I love kids (and adults) with high energy and big personalities.
- I’m naturally an introvert, and I love art and quiet, solo activities. However given the right situation and group of friends, I can be an extrovert too!
- I like almost all foods except onions, bitter melon, and durian.
- My husband’s name is Kelvin and we took our honeymoon in Maui.
- I love acting and often get jobs in commercials or as a print model for ads. Occasionally you’ll see me on TV!
- I’m quirky and often very random because my brain is often thinking faster than my mouth can talk.
- Autocorrect is my worst enemy. It also often likes to change “caligirlgetsfit” to “caligirlgetsfat” – does Siri know when I’m eating cookies!?
- I’ve also been called a giraffe because I’m usually the tallest girl in the group, whether it is with friends or family members. I’ve learned that the average Asian girl is 5’2”, so at 5’8.5”, I’m definitely tall for an Asian.
- I have a giant angelfish named Dennis. He used to reside with 5 small tetras, collectively named The Jackson 5, but he cannibalized them one by one… starting with Michael
- I sketch and paint, thought I don’t do it as often as I would like anymore
- I was trained as a classical pianist, and I’m always trying time to play amidst all of the above activities.
- I have lived in seven different cities in my life, all between Northern and Southern California